Skip to main content

Pom Pom Gets the Grumps by Sophy Henn


Book Cover:  Pom Pom Gets the Grumps
I love Pom Pom Gets the Grumps. I feel that this little panda and I have much in common. Pom Pom is grumpy because he gets out of the wrong side of bed one day. This is me most days. Mornings and me don’t mix too well. I wish I woke up with sunshine in my heart, but I don’t.


The dark cloud over Pom Pom is just about perfect.



Everything annoys Pom Pom and makes him exclaim ‘Harrumph!’



It all gets too much for him and he explodes at his friends, who are only trying to cheer him up.



Then he is a very sorry panda indeed. That look would break your heart.

Luckily, true friends are there for you even when you’ve been not so very nice, as long as you make amends. It’s a good story, told with few words – which is my favourite type of picture book. Pom Pom’s bad mood is a little bit funny, especially all the harrumphing, but I do empathise with him!



The style of the illustrations is what attracted me initially to the book. I like the chalky texture, and the colours…I sometimes found myself thinking of Tim Burton’s suburbia in Edward Scissorhands or Big Eyes, or a David Hockney painting from the 1960s or ‘70s – all things that make my eyes very blissfully happy. As I said, I love Pom Pom Gets the Grumps!

Sophy Henn has a lovely website with lots more gorgeous pictures and patterns to feast your eyes upon. There is a paper umbrella pattern (in the Projects section) that is so pretty I want to eat it (that is in no way weird, to be clear!)

Pom Pom Gets the Grumps by Sophy Henn is published by Puffin in hardback and paperback. I bought my copy with my own pocket money (or wages as they are sometimes known).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interview With The Vampire: Claudia's Story by Anne Rice and Ashley Marie Witter

Super Special Summer Picnic Book Chase

My nieces and nephews and I have a monthly book club, called Book Chase (although it sometimes gains an extra 's' to become Book Chasse). The rules are simple: we all bring something we've read during the last month, talk about it to each other, and eat snacks. We live tweet each meeting with the hashtag BookChase. Sometimes, when we remember, we Storify all the tweets too. This month, we remembered!

[View the story "SUPER SPECIAL SUMMER PICNIC BOOK CHASE" on Storify]

See What I Have Done by Sarah Schmidt

Lizzie Borden and the Borden Murders See What I Have Done by Sarah Schmidt

The story of Lizzie Borden has a whiff of folklore about it, it feels hazy to me, apocryphal perhaps, something half known and uncertain like Washington and the cherry tree or the ride of Paul Revere. Shamefully, I had to Google both the latter two examples to double check they were the events I thought I was referring to. I choose them deliberately though - is it my Englishness that makes these events fuzzy to me? Do these stories live in the American psyche the way Magna Carta, Henry VIII and his six wives, and Jack the Ripper (to select three almost at random) live in mine? 
I remember a book we stocked when I was a very young bookseller at Waterstones in Watford that looked at the psychology of children who murder their parents. The copy on the back of the book talked of Lizzie Borden. I remember half wondering about the case, then shelving the book away and moving onto the next armful. But it stuck in my m…