Skip to main content

Books. And more books.


Oh hello poor neglected blog. Let’s see if I can’t look after you a little better…

After being really quite restrained so far this year, I had a lovely little book splurge on Saturday. I’m on holiday (well, off work) this week, and all the best holidays include trips to bookshops. I hopped on the train to go to Waterstones Berkhamstead – it’s small but perfectly formed and, coincidentally, my Small Sister Person works there.

My browsing quickly resulted in an armful of books: a mixture of old and new plus a couple of picture books.



Don’t they look beautiful and tempting? I do think I probably ought to now bite the bullet and join in with #TBR20. This is the brainchild of Eva Stalker and the essence of it is about reconnecting with reading rather than the lure of owning more and more books. I am never going to want to stop buying books (and as a bookseller I don’t want anyone else to either) but the weight of unread books can become oppressive. I think I am thinking along the lines of buy as many books as I like but then read them – don’t let them sit forlorn and forgotten. I’m going to mull this over just a little more, then gather a pile of books to read before I buy anymore.

Saturday was also National Libraries Day. I don’t know what I would have done without my local library when I was little. There was no way at all that mum and dad could have kept me (and my sisters) in books then. Weekly trips to the library were an essential and loved part of my childhood. So many people on my Twitter timeline echoed my feelings; cutting library services is horribly short-sighted. We need to value libraries and librarians; they are a necessary part of the community.

I raided the Children’s and Teenage sections of Watford Library for Branford Boase Award longlist and YA Prize shortlist titles. They had a pretty good showing available on the shelves, and the rest can be got on inter-library loan.


There’s one missing from this picture – I’ve already read Broken Strings by Maria Farrer from the Branford Boase list. Even though I know it’s complete madness to attempt this with a full-time job, I am going to read the whole Branford Boase longlist again this year. Before the shortlist is announced on 4 May. Better get on that then...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interview With The Vampire: Claudia's Story by Anne Rice and Ashley Marie Witter

Super Special Summer Picnic Book Chase

My nieces and nephews and I have a monthly book club, called Book Chase (although it sometimes gains an extra 's' to become Book Chasse). The rules are simple: we all bring something we've read during the last month, talk about it to each other, and eat snacks. We live tweet each meeting with the hashtag BookChase. Sometimes, when we remember, we Storify all the tweets too. This month, we remembered!

[View the story "SUPER SPECIAL SUMMER PICNIC BOOK CHASE" on Storify]

See What I Have Done by Sarah Schmidt

Lizzie Borden and the Borden Murders See What I Have Done by Sarah Schmidt

The story of Lizzie Borden has a whiff of folklore about it, it feels hazy to me, apocryphal perhaps, something half known and uncertain like Washington and the cherry tree or the ride of Paul Revere. Shamefully, I had to Google both the latter two examples to double check they were the events I thought I was referring to. I choose them deliberately though - is it my Englishness that makes these events fuzzy to me? Do these stories live in the American psyche the way Magna Carta, Henry VIII and his six wives, and Jack the Ripper (to select three almost at random) live in mine? 
I remember a book we stocked when I was a very young bookseller at Waterstones in Watford that looked at the psychology of children who murder their parents. The copy on the back of the book talked of Lizzie Borden. I remember half wondering about the case, then shelving the book away and moving onto the next armful. But it stuck in my m…