Skip to main content

The Wonder by Faye Hanson


One of the things I miss most about being a children’s bookseller are the Picture Books. I miss the therapeutic alphabetising and tidying, I miss choosing and reading the Storytime stories, and I miss the colour and the joy they bring to a day at work.
 The Wonder
I also miss seeing the new books as they arrive and thrusting new favourites at people, imploring them to read it right away. Happily, I know where to turn to get my Picture Book fix - @Leilah_Makes, a super lovely bookseller with an eye for a gorgeous book. Leilah recommended The Wonder and I knew I had to see it. Once I’d seen it, I had to buy it!


The Wonder is beautiful. It’s about daydreaming and imagination; seeing the wonder in everything around you and having that ability recognised as the truly special thing it is. The words are simple and few, capturing the world of this boy with his head full of wonder. The illustrations are just perfect. Everyday life is gently sepia-toned; the world of the imagination bursts with colour. There is so much to look at on each page, especially (but not only) the imagination pages. I’m sure I’ve only just begun to see all there is to see.


I think it’s a lovely story, and the positive message to daydreamers is most welcome. I’d encourage everyone to daydream because who knows what you might dream up.


I cannot recommend The Wonder enough, and not just for children. It properly touched my heart. And be sure to read right to the very end; it gave me tingles!


I bought my copy of The Wonder from Foyles on Charing Cross Rd (where I work now). It’s published by Templar Publishing in hardback and paperback.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interview With The Vampire: Claudia's Story by Anne Rice and Ashley Marie Witter

Super Special Summer Picnic Book Chase

My nieces and nephews and I have a monthly book club, called Book Chase (although it sometimes gains an extra 's' to become Book Chasse). The rules are simple: we all bring something we've read during the last month, talk about it to each other, and eat snacks. We live tweet each meeting with the hashtag BookChase. Sometimes, when we remember, we Storify all the tweets too. This month, we remembered!

[View the story "SUPER SPECIAL SUMMER PICNIC BOOK CHASE" on Storify]

See What I Have Done by Sarah Schmidt

Lizzie Borden and the Borden Murders See What I Have Done by Sarah Schmidt

The story of Lizzie Borden has a whiff of folklore about it, it feels hazy to me, apocryphal perhaps, something half known and uncertain like Washington and the cherry tree or the ride of Paul Revere. Shamefully, I had to Google both the latter two examples to double check they were the events I thought I was referring to. I choose them deliberately though - is it my Englishness that makes these events fuzzy to me? Do these stories live in the American psyche the way Magna Carta, Henry VIII and his six wives, and Jack the Ripper (to select three almost at random) live in mine? 
I remember a book we stocked when I was a very young bookseller at Waterstones in Watford that looked at the psychology of children who murder their parents. The copy on the back of the book talked of Lizzie Borden. I remember half wondering about the case, then shelving the book away and moving onto the next armful. But it stuck in my m…