Skip to main content

Traitor's Blade by Sebastien de Castell


Traitor's Blade - The Greatcoats 1


Falcio is the first Cantor of the Greatcoats. Trained in the fighting arts and the laws of Tristia, the Greatcoats are travelling Magisters upholding King's Law. They are heroes. Or at least they were, until they stood aside while the Dukes took the kingdom, and impaled their King's head on a spike. Now Tristia is on the verge of collapse and the barbarians are sniffing at the borders. The Dukes bring chaos to the land, while the Greatcoats are scattered far and wide, reviled as traitors, their legendary coats in tatters. All they have left are the promises they made to King Paelis, to carry out one final mission. But if they have any hope of fulfilling the King's dream, the divided Greatcoats must reunite, or they will also have to stand aside as they watch their world burn...

Be in no doubt, I adored Traitor’s Blade. Heroic sword-fighting epics are absolutely my kind of book. If you’ve ever wondered what it would be like if Dumas wrote fantasy, then this is a book for you too. It’s exciting and gripping, has awesome fight scenes and entertaining repartee, and has a central quest urging our heroes ever onward.

Falcio val Mond has grown up dreaming of being a Greatcoat, an almost mythical group dedicated to justice and honour. He gets his wish in terrible and tragic circumstances, only to have it torn away again. He holds true to his vows however, and follows his King’s final instructions to seek out the King’s Charoites. Falcio doesn’t know what they are or where to find them, but these are merely details. His two Greatcoat brothers Kest and Brasti ably assist him. Kest is the best swordsman alive and Brasti is a bowman who (almost) never misses. Despite a fair deal of grumbling and predictions of imminent death the trio are devoted to each other.

I loved the camaraderie between the three and their different personalities. Brasti moans and groans about their current lack of status and income, but I never doubted his loyalty for a moment. Kest is supremely confident of his abilities, but quietly so, he has no need to boast. Falcio is a mixture of grief and gravity; sincerity, guilt and sadness in equal measure.

The Tailor is perhaps the most intriguing character, and her greatcoats are things of great wonder, made for protection and concealment. It’s no surprise that the only way to separate a Greatcoat and his coat is to kill him. As they’re highly trained in multiple forms of combat that’s no easy matter. Although it does seem that virtually everyone Falcio and co. encounter wants to try.

The story moves back and forth filling in Falcio’s history and consequently that of the Greatcoats recent rise and fall. Falcio is so damaged by his past it just breaks my heart. I’m probably a teensy bit in love with him, although he does his best to repel everyone. His description of the stink of bodies during and after battle might just put you off, although it is also pretty amusing. There is plenty of humour in the book, which leavens the darker aspects of the story.

I did not want this story to end, and fortunately there will be more Greatcoats in the future. The whole thing had me enthralled, and as I started to write my review I found myself reading huge chunks of it over again. Yep, this is my kind of book.

Traitor’s Blade is published by Jo Fletcher Books in Hardback on 6 March. It’s available now as an eBook. I won my advance eBook in a competition.

Comments

  1. Awesome review! I devoured this book, DEVOURED IT. Definitely my kind of story as well, I just couldn't get enough of the antics of Falcio, Kest and Brasti. Perfect mix of fantasy elements and action, and I'm so glad de Castell wasn't afraid to inject some humor into it. Most fun I've had with a book in a long time.

    ~Mogsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree with you - I am so ready to read Book 2!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Interview With The Vampire: Claudia's Story by Anne Rice and Ashley Marie Witter

See What I Have Done by Sarah Schmidt

Lizzie Borden and the Borden Murders See What I Have Done by Sarah Schmidt

The story of Lizzie Borden has a whiff of folklore about it, it feels hazy to me, apocryphal perhaps, something half known and uncertain like Washington and the cherry tree or the ride of Paul Revere. Shamefully, I had to Google both the latter two examples to double check they were the events I thought I was referring to. I choose them deliberately though - is it my Englishness that makes these events fuzzy to me? Do these stories live in the American psyche the way Magna Carta, Henry VIII and his six wives, and Jack the Ripper (to select three almost at random) live in mine? 
I remember a book we stocked when I was a very young bookseller at Waterstones in Watford that looked at the psychology of children who murder their parents. The copy on the back of the book talked of Lizzie Borden. I remember half wondering about the case, then shelving the book away and moving onto the next armful. But it stuck in my m…

Super Special Summer Picnic Book Chase

My nieces and nephews and I have a monthly book club, called Book Chase (although it sometimes gains an extra 's' to become Book Chasse). The rules are simple: we all bring something we've read during the last month, talk about it to each other, and eat snacks. We live tweet each meeting with the hashtag BookChase. Sometimes, when we remember, we Storify all the tweets too. This month, we remembered!

[View the story "SUPER SPECIAL SUMMER PICNIC BOOK CHASE" on Storify]