Skip to main content

The Little Match Girl on Stage

Arrow Little Match Girl
I saw a beautiful production of The Little Match Girl at Watford Palace Theatre this afternoon. It was 70% magical and 30% bonkers, a most agreeable ratio! I went with my sister and her two daughters; the girls both loved it and gave it the full five stars rating. I wasn't sure what to expect as it is such a sad story, and often endings get softened to make them less tragic for younger viewers. Here, the original tale is followed in broad outline, but the Match Girl gets a celestial afterlife in which she can be happy.

The story is mostly conveyed through dance with some song. The singing is in Italian, but the sense of the lyrics is clear even if the actual words are unfamiliar. The cast were wonderful and I loved the choreography. Two innovative aspects of the staged story allowed for a brilliant dance-off between the Match Girl and a rival match-seller, and a gorgeous sequence where the Match Girl dances with the lamplighter. 

In the Andersen tale the girl is able to see through the wall to the festivities within. Here, the plenty that some enjoy is demonstrated by a gloriously over the top family, who sing and dance wishing everyone a Happy Christmas whilst pointedly ignoring the Match Girl's plight completely. It makes a definite point about hypocrisy and the consequences of turning your back on those in need. Unfortunately, this is still pertinent nearly 170 years after the story was written.

I really did enjoy the show, although I was a little unsure about the scene on the moon. It's an unusual addition to the story I think. It did feel very different in tone to the rest of the play, although the lunar dance was charming. The epilogue scene brought me right back to a magical place though; the tear in the eye moment arrived!

There are a few more performances scheduled around the country in the next two months, details can be found on the choreographer's website. If there's one near you I'd definitely recommend seeing the show.

Of course, I couldn't let the opportunity to re-read the original Hans Christian Andersen tale go. There's a lovely illustrated (and free) online version of Andersen's Fairy Tales available via Project Gutenberg. This link takes you straight to The Little Match Girl. Remember to have a hankie nearby before reading.
Where the light fell upon the wall it became transparent.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interview With The Vampire: Claudia's Story by Anne Rice and Ashley Marie Witter

See What I Have Done by Sarah Schmidt

Lizzie Borden and the Borden Murders See What I Have Done by Sarah Schmidt

The story of Lizzie Borden has a whiff of folklore about it, it feels hazy to me, apocryphal perhaps, something half known and uncertain like Washington and the cherry tree or the ride of Paul Revere. Shamefully, I had to Google both the latter two examples to double check they were the events I thought I was referring to. I choose them deliberately though - is it my Englishness that makes these events fuzzy to me? Do these stories live in the American psyche the way Magna Carta, Henry VIII and his six wives, and Jack the Ripper (to select three almost at random) live in mine? 
I remember a book we stocked when I was a very young bookseller at Waterstones in Watford that looked at the psychology of children who murder their parents. The copy on the back of the book talked of Lizzie Borden. I remember half wondering about the case, then shelving the book away and moving onto the next armful. But it stuck in my m…

Super Special Summer Picnic Book Chase

My nieces and nephews and I have a monthly book club, called Book Chase (although it sometimes gains an extra 's' to become Book Chasse). The rules are simple: we all bring something we've read during the last month, talk about it to each other, and eat snacks. We live tweet each meeting with the hashtag BookChase. Sometimes, when we remember, we Storify all the tweets too. This month, we remembered!

[View the story "SUPER SPECIAL SUMMER PICNIC BOOK CHASE" on Storify]