Skip to main content

The First Book of Calamity Leek by Paula Lichtarowicz

The First Book of Calamity LeekThe First Book of Calamity Leek

I’ve been meaning to read Calamity Leek for months; the paperback release looming gave me the nudge I needed. The hardback, cruelly neglected on my bedside table, is a beauty. It’s a gorgeous chunky thing with illustrations that continue inside the front and back covers. There’s a wonderful sense of both life and decay to them. The paperback uses the same illustrator’s work, that of Talya Baldwin. I checked out her website and her work is amazing.

Calamity Leek narrates the book from her hospital bed, setting out how she ended up there. She starts with the night her sister Truly Polperro well and truly broke the rules, which as it turned out was the start of all the trouble. Truly’s inquisitive nature means she just has to see over the Wall of Safekeeping. The transgression has far-reaching consequences for all the sisters, who until now had been safe and protected in the Garden. Calamity cannot understand why anyone would want to break the rules so clearly laid out in the Appendix, their guidebook. But, the few words that Truly manages to breathe into the ear of Annie St. Albans sparks more questions than the Appendix has answers for.

Calamity is thoroughly indoctrinated by the Appendix. For her the words written within it are the truth. Aunty is their protector and mentor, training them to become warriors against the demonmales in the Outside. The creation story explaining how awful they are and why they must be destroyed is one of my twisted highlights of the book. Aunty’s tyranny as she teaches the girls through a combination of cheery show-tunes and her Stick is another one.

The snatches of song sung by Aunty and the girls, and featured on the instructional Ophelia Swindon showreel, are all from popular musicals. The type of the community the girls are living in is not immediately clear, and initially I wondered if these songs were the remnants of popular culture still available in a post-disaster world. Calamity’s situation is so alien I couldn’t resolve it into something I understood at first. One of the things I most enjoyed about the book was how that world slowly shifted into focus. Calamity relates what she overhears and sees and we get to read between the lines.

That something is very wrong inside the Garden is clear. Aunty, with her ravaged face and reliance on ‘medicine’ swigged from a bottle, is manipulative and scary. She’s an angel compared to the Mother though, whizzing around barking orders from behind her dark glasses. So many questions about the relationship between the two women popped into my mind, along with a multitude of others about the girls. Mostly I was gratified with answers. However, a couple of things have been bothering me. The next paragraph is SPOILERY so skip it if you prefer.

DON’T READ THIS NEXT BIT IF YOU WANT TO AVOID SPOILERY STUFF

The most pressing thing for me is as follows. During the latter part of the story it transpires that Mother, in the real world, is known to take in orphans. I couldn’t reconcile this with the conditions in which the girls lived - they don’t even have shoes - and the fact that children had been going missing for years. Surely someone would have checked on them? This bothers me because from what we get to know of the outside world, it is the normal everyday one that we inhabit.

OK, IT’S SAFE TO COME BACK NOW

Overall I thought Calamity Leek was a very interesting read. I loved the skewed world Paula Lichtarowicz has created. The darkness of the situation contrasts so well with the beauty of the surroundings. The Garden is a place full of glorious roses, an apt choice of bloom, sweet smelling and exquisite to look at but watch out for the thorns. Calamity is the poster girl for blind devotion and indoctrination; I pitied her and willed her to use her brain to think instead of memorise. Only once did I become hopelessly exasperated with her. It wasn’t until I got to the very end of the book, and was utterly chilled by it, that I began to think even more about the rose metaphor. Before I had just been thinking about the girls as roses. Now, I think that the author has very cleverly concealed a most disturbing tale under the endearingly na├»ve voice of Calamity. Her matter of fact tone almost lulled me into overlooking the damage done to these girls. Those last few sentences brought me right back to my senses.
I couldn't resist looking up some of the roses grown in the Garden to see what sort they were. White roses for purity or mourning? There's so much plant lore I'm not sure what, if anything, the varieties symbolise. Any ideas, please let me know. From top left: Silver Anniversary, Iceberg, Boules de Neige
The images can be accessed on their original websites (tree2mydoor.com, mooseyscountrygarden.com & crocus.co.uk) by clicking on the names, where you can buy them to grow in your very own Garden!

The First Book of Calamity Leek has just come out in paperback from Hutchinson, it's also available as an eBook. My copy was plucked from my own shelves.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interview With The Vampire: Claudia's Story by Anne Rice and Ashley Marie Witter

See What I Have Done by Sarah Schmidt

Lizzie Borden and the Borden Murders See What I Have Done by Sarah Schmidt

The story of Lizzie Borden has a whiff of folklore about it, it feels hazy to me, apocryphal perhaps, something half known and uncertain like Washington and the cherry tree or the ride of Paul Revere. Shamefully, I had to Google both the latter two examples to double check they were the events I thought I was referring to. I choose them deliberately though - is it my Englishness that makes these events fuzzy to me? Do these stories live in the American psyche the way Magna Carta, Henry VIII and his six wives, and Jack the Ripper (to select three almost at random) live in mine? 
I remember a book we stocked when I was a very young bookseller at Waterstones in Watford that looked at the psychology of children who murder their parents. The copy on the back of the book talked of Lizzie Borden. I remember half wondering about the case, then shelving the book away and moving onto the next armful. But it stuck in my m…

Super Special Summer Picnic Book Chase

My nieces and nephews and I have a monthly book club, called Book Chase (although it sometimes gains an extra 's' to become Book Chasse). The rules are simple: we all bring something we've read during the last month, talk about it to each other, and eat snacks. We live tweet each meeting with the hashtag BookChase. Sometimes, when we remember, we Storify all the tweets too. This month, we remembered!

[View the story "SUPER SPECIAL SUMMER PICNIC BOOK CHASE" on Storify]