Skip to main content

Meeting the English by Kate Clanchy


Meeting the English


I heard Kate Clanchy read an extract from her novel Meeting the English at an event last year. The section she chose made me laugh so I was optimistic that I would enjoy the story very much. And I did. Set in the summer of 1989, a time of momentous change and a year I remember well, it tells the story of young Struan and the culture shock he encounters when he leaves Cuik for London.

Struan is taking his Highers when we meet him. He has a place at uni to study dentistry the following year, but right now has some time on his hands. His enthusiastic English teacher suggests he applies for the position of carer to Literary Giant Philip Prys. Struan has plenty of experience caring for the desperately sick and dying, even at his young age. He’s not entirely sure about London, but it ought to be an experience at least.

The family he encounters in Hampstead certainly are an experience. Philip needs a lot of looking after, but actually he’s the least of Struan’s problems. There are two Mrs Prys’ to deal with; one takes a dislike to Struan, the other is just a bit too enchanting. Philip’s children bring their own challenges. Jake resents and looks down on Struan, appears and disappears on a whim and manipulates the rest of the family. Juliet is a sweet thing but struggling to assert her own independence and come to terms with herself. Add in a supporting cast of characters and you have yourself a coming of age story with added comedy.

I loved Struan, and Juliet. They are both growing up, but in very different ways. Struan is old before his time; too much responsibility too early has made him very mature in some ways but na├»ve in others. His lack of interest in drinking, sex, and general messing about baffles Juliet. At sixteen, her interest in all these things is acute. I took my GCSEs in the summer of ’89 too, and sympathise a lot with Juliet. Revision, exams, friends, jobs, boys, The Future – yes, these were all crowding in my mind too. Despite falling out with her mother, uncertainty over her exam results, and an anorexic best friend, Juliet remains remarkably cheerful. Spending time with Struan benefits the both of them.

Struan experiences the most dramatic change, as his eyes are opened to different ways of life. He’s not at all convinced it’s better in London, but it does him good to get out of his home town for a while. His teacher Mr Fox amused me; his earnest, missionary zeal for helping the poor insular folk of Cuik is painfully funny. That condescending attitude to anyone not from the metropolis is even more pronounced in Jake. He’s an obnoxious brat, but Struan even finds some genuine sympathy for him. I liked that even though the characters tend towards the grotesque or carnivalesque, they don’t tip over into monstrous. They are given histories, thoughts, and emotions that allow them some redemption.

There is no great mystery to solve or plot to unravel in Meeting the English. It is the story of one young man, one family, and one summer. Plenty still happens, but this is small-scale drama, written with warmth, wit and humour. I had a great time reading it, being reminded of all the events big and small that happened that year.

Thank you to Picador for sending me an advance copy of this book. It is published 9 May 2013 in Hardback.

Comments

  1. A lovely review, I am looking forward to reading this one. I heard the author speak too - same event I think? - and I enjoyed what she read and how she delivered it, it has stayed in my mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think it was the same one. And, yes, do read it, it's ace!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Interview With The Vampire: Claudia's Story by Anne Rice and Ashley Marie Witter

Super Special Summer Picnic Book Chase

My nieces and nephews and I have a monthly book club, called Book Chase (although it sometimes gains an extra 's' to become Book Chasse). The rules are simple: we all bring something we've read during the last month, talk about it to each other, and eat snacks. We live tweet each meeting with the hashtag BookChase. Sometimes, when we remember, we Storify all the tweets too. This month, we remembered!

[View the story "SUPER SPECIAL SUMMER PICNIC BOOK CHASE" on Storify]

See What I Have Done by Sarah Schmidt

Lizzie Borden and the Borden Murders See What I Have Done by Sarah Schmidt

The story of Lizzie Borden has a whiff of folklore about it, it feels hazy to me, apocryphal perhaps, something half known and uncertain like Washington and the cherry tree or the ride of Paul Revere. Shamefully, I had to Google both the latter two examples to double check they were the events I thought I was referring to. I choose them deliberately though - is it my Englishness that makes these events fuzzy to me? Do these stories live in the American psyche the way Magna Carta, Henry VIII and his six wives, and Jack the Ripper (to select three almost at random) live in mine? 
I remember a book we stocked when I was a very young bookseller at Waterstones in Watford that looked at the psychology of children who murder their parents. The copy on the back of the book talked of Lizzie Borden. I remember half wondering about the case, then shelving the book away and moving onto the next armful. But it stuck in my m…