Skip to main content

Carnegie Medal Shortlist 2013: Wonder by R.J. Palacio


Wonder
I read Wonder last year when it first came out. I was absolutely blown away by the story; I adored Auggie and the book’s message about kindness. This is what I wrote about it then:

“This is an outstanding novel, truly beautiful and moving. August's facial deformity means that his life is characterized by the double-take as people register his unusual looks. He understands why they do this, but it's still awful to deal with every time he meets someone new. Attending school for the first time could be traumatic then. Being the new kid can be tough at the best of times, and Auggie does certainly go through it. He has an amazing family to help him out, and a wonderful Head Teacher whose maxim encouraging everyone to practice being a little kinder than necessary is such a lovely sentiment. How much better a place to live the world would be if we all followed his advice.

Auggie's first year at school is told from a variety of perspectives; his friends and family get a say as well as Auggie himself. I love the way this gives a more rounded story. It is a story about tolerance, hope and understanding. It is a teary read at times, but I finished it feeling uplifted, happier and very thankful for friends and family.”


I still feel the same way about Wonder; I think it is a wonderful book. Being reminded to be kind never goes amiss. I hope lots of people of all ages continue to read this story for many years to come.

Comments

  1. I loved this one too, thought it was very special, and I love your last sentence and hope they do too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It really is a special book.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Interview With The Vampire: Claudia's Story by Anne Rice and Ashley Marie Witter

See What I Have Done by Sarah Schmidt

Lizzie Borden and the Borden Murders See What I Have Done by Sarah Schmidt

The story of Lizzie Borden has a whiff of folklore about it, it feels hazy to me, apocryphal perhaps, something half known and uncertain like Washington and the cherry tree or the ride of Paul Revere. Shamefully, I had to Google both the latter two examples to double check they were the events I thought I was referring to. I choose them deliberately though - is it my Englishness that makes these events fuzzy to me? Do these stories live in the American psyche the way Magna Carta, Henry VIII and his six wives, and Jack the Ripper (to select three almost at random) live in mine? 
I remember a book we stocked when I was a very young bookseller at Waterstones in Watford that looked at the psychology of children who murder their parents. The copy on the back of the book talked of Lizzie Borden. I remember half wondering about the case, then shelving the book away and moving onto the next armful. But it stuck in my m…

Super Special Summer Picnic Book Chase

My nieces and nephews and I have a monthly book club, called Book Chase (although it sometimes gains an extra 's' to become Book Chasse). The rules are simple: we all bring something we've read during the last month, talk about it to each other, and eat snacks. We live tweet each meeting with the hashtag BookChase. Sometimes, when we remember, we Storify all the tweets too. This month, we remembered!

[View the story "SUPER SPECIAL SUMMER PICNIC BOOK CHASE" on Storify]