Skip to main content

Empire State by Adam Christopher

Empire State - Angry Robot
Fancy a bit of scifi noir, superhero time travel, alternative history thriller? Then you are in luck. Empire State is a very satisfying genre-mixing novel that kept me thoroughly entertained and frequently baffled. I love novels that play with genre, and this one does it with much skill and great aplomb.

I'm not going to try and straighten the story out for you, that pleasure is yours as you read the book. But, the Empire State is a parallel New York City. They exist pretty much next door to each other, but only a handful of people know of the existence of both. The story starts in Prohibition-era New York with Rex, a bootlegger in the middle of a heavy car chase that ends in an inevitable crash. As he extricates himself from the wreckage he sees police and crowds of people, but it's not his little incident that has caught their eye. No, it's the two superheroes slugging it out over the unfinished Empire State Building. This abrupt shift from mobsters to superheroes, just a few pages in, really made me sit up and pay attention. I absolutely loved the way it was thrown right in there; superheroes as fact of life. The Skyguard and his protegee the Space Pirate are embroiled in their final showdown. A huge explosion signals the end for one of them. As the dust settles Rex spies a new opportunity, and off he wanders, only to get completely and utterly lost.

Meanwhile, over in the Empire State, Private Eye Rad Bradley is getting a working over from two goons in gas masks. They keep asking him what he knows about 1950, much to his confusion. 1950 what? I love Rad, he's a big lump of a fella, gasping for a drink in a ostensibly dry town, running into trouble where wiser men might steer well clear. He's not in the best shape, either physically or emotionally, and the events he's stumbled into will leave him more battered and bruised - I did wonder how bashed up one person could get. But Rad is solid gold. No matter how many twists and turns the plot took, and how much double and triple-crossing went on, I always kept faith with Rad. He's a man to put your trust into.

There a whole cast of interesting (read eccentric) characters. Rad's friend Kane is a hot-shot journalist with some pretty big secrets. Captain Carson, explorer and technological genius, is deeply involved in whatever it is that's going on. The Pastor of Lost Souls is one creepy dude. And everyone wants something from Rad. The Empire State is in danger, and Rad is the one to save the city. Maybe.

I admit that first I struggled to keep New York and the Empire State separate, muddling them up and causing myself some confusion. I lost track of which one was which initially. What pulled it back together for me was reading in slightly bigger chunks. It was much more coherent for me then, and I was able to see where I was, no problem. As the story progresses the plot does whirl round and round; who to trust and what to believe is never obvious. In a very good way. The further into the book I got the more I wanted to keep reading. Towards the end I was almost at fever pitch, and the big denouement scene is huge. It was great. I was a bit reluctant to finish the book until I remembered there is already a second instalment out. I'll be reading that very soon.

Empire State is available in Paperback; my copy was purchased with my own pennies from a bookshop. The sequel has recently been published, and is called The Atomic Age. For those tempted by this one I would also recommend Jake Arnott's House Of Rumour, another genre-defying novel that I adored.

Comments

  1. Oh, wow - that cover! I love a book that blends genres like this. I'm off to see if I can find a copy, so glad you reviewed it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope you enjoy it, and I'd love to know what you think.

      Delete
  2. Ooh, sounds cool! But really, I was hooked just from the cover :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cover is amazing, and is even better after you've read the book as you see how it all ties in.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Interview With The Vampire: Claudia's Story by Anne Rice and Ashley Marie Witter

Super Special Summer Picnic Book Chase

My nieces and nephews and I have a monthly book club, called Book Chase (although it sometimes gains an extra 's' to become Book Chasse). The rules are simple: we all bring something we've read during the last month, talk about it to each other, and eat snacks. We live tweet each meeting with the hashtag BookChase. Sometimes, when we remember, we Storify all the tweets too. This month, we remembered!

[View the story "SUPER SPECIAL SUMMER PICNIC BOOK CHASE" on Storify]

See What I Have Done by Sarah Schmidt

Lizzie Borden and the Borden Murders See What I Have Done by Sarah Schmidt

The story of Lizzie Borden has a whiff of folklore about it, it feels hazy to me, apocryphal perhaps, something half known and uncertain like Washington and the cherry tree or the ride of Paul Revere. Shamefully, I had to Google both the latter two examples to double check they were the events I thought I was referring to. I choose them deliberately though - is it my Englishness that makes these events fuzzy to me? Do these stories live in the American psyche the way Magna Carta, Henry VIII and his six wives, and Jack the Ripper (to select three almost at random) live in mine? 
I remember a book we stocked when I was a very young bookseller at Waterstones in Watford that looked at the psychology of children who murder their parents. The copy on the back of the book talked of Lizzie Borden. I remember half wondering about the case, then shelving the book away and moving onto the next armful. But it stuck in my m…