Skip to main content

At Drake's Command by David Wesley Hill


At Drake's Command by David Wesley Hill

This is a salty sea-dog of a novel! I do enjoy a good adventure at sea from time to time; At Drake's Command fits the bill nicely.

It's set in the 1570s, during the reign of Elizabeth I, when Francis Drake was already a famed and feared captain. Our hero is a slightly less well-reknowned chap, Peregrine James, little more than a boy really, but in some big trouble. We meet him on his way to a flogging; he's in a bit of bother all told. Still, it might just be his lucky day. Drake is also out and about in Plymouth, and Perry is not one to miss an opportunity. His boldness earns him a chance to sail with Drake, aboard the Pelican.

So Perry takes his chances upon the sea. His inexperience shows, he knows nothing about ships and is afflicted with horrendous seasickness. His boss is a talentless cook who takes a dislike to Perry, but Perry does find friends amongst the crew. He impresses Drake with his honesty, but it's apparent early on that Perry's integrity could be as much a hindrance as a help. His inability to look the other way could land him in some trouble - it certainly gains him some attention that is not wholly in his favour.

His outspoken nature ensures that he is 'volunteered' for a number of tasks. A visit to the infamous Dr Dee is nearly the end of poor Perry, as he is ambushed on the road. He escapes certain death, and learns a great deal about the nature of Drake's second in command Thomas Doughty. He also gains some unsettling insights into his own future. Dee divines that he will be tested three times in his travels, once in the sand, once upon the sea, and once by the burning hills. Poor Perry indeed.

It's fair to say that At Drake's Command is not short on action. There's plenty going on, and Perry is invariably at the centre of it all. He has the knack of being in the wrong place at exactly the wrong time. He refuses to give up though, and his determination and luck see him through. Luck's a fickle thing, it can run out at any time. I warn you now, the book ends on a monumental cliff-hanger that will leave you clamouring for the sequel.

There are some lovely expressions throughout the book, oaths and salutations that felt very right; a good 'God's blood' sounds just lovely out of the mouth of a hardened sailor. I really enjoyed the story, and Perry is splendid character, fearless and exasperating in equal measure. For a hearty bit of derring-do upon the high seas I'd recommend this unhesitatingly.

My thanks to Temurlone Press and David Wesley Hill for kindly sending me a copy of the eBook, it was much appreciated.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interview With The Vampire: Claudia's Story by Anne Rice and Ashley Marie Witter

See What I Have Done by Sarah Schmidt

Lizzie Borden and the Borden Murders See What I Have Done by Sarah Schmidt

The story of Lizzie Borden has a whiff of folklore about it, it feels hazy to me, apocryphal perhaps, something half known and uncertain like Washington and the cherry tree or the ride of Paul Revere. Shamefully, I had to Google both the latter two examples to double check they were the events I thought I was referring to. I choose them deliberately though - is it my Englishness that makes these events fuzzy to me? Do these stories live in the American psyche the way Magna Carta, Henry VIII and his six wives, and Jack the Ripper (to select three almost at random) live in mine? 
I remember a book we stocked when I was a very young bookseller at Waterstones in Watford that looked at the psychology of children who murder their parents. The copy on the back of the book talked of Lizzie Borden. I remember half wondering about the case, then shelving the book away and moving onto the next armful. But it stuck in my m…

Super Special Summer Picnic Book Chase

My nieces and nephews and I have a monthly book club, called Book Chase (although it sometimes gains an extra 's' to become Book Chasse). The rules are simple: we all bring something we've read during the last month, talk about it to each other, and eat snacks. We live tweet each meeting with the hashtag BookChase. Sometimes, when we remember, we Storify all the tweets too. This month, we remembered!

[View the story "SUPER SPECIAL SUMMER PICNIC BOOK CHASE" on Storify]