Skip to main content

Starflower by Anne Elisabeth Stengl

This is the first book I have read by Anne Elisabeth Stengl, but I have discovered that it is in a series of stories called Tales of Goldstone Wood. There are three others in the series, and another to come later this year. Fortunately, Starflower can be read out of sequence as it takes place in a different time to the previous stories. It is set long before Stengl's first novel, Heartless, but in the same magical and eventful realm.

I was quite enchanted by it. It's a fairy tale for grown ups, full of dragons and faeries, quests full of peril and self-discovery. In Starflower, the former dragon Hri Sora attempts to exact some revenge for her horrible fate. Stripped of her full dragon-ness, she must suffer in the smoky ruins of her city. Her audacious plan to kidnap the Faerie Queen's sister, the most adored Lady Gleamdren, and keep her hostage is a terrible affront to the kingdom. Gleamdren has two champions - Eanrin and Glomar -  ready to do battle on her behalf. They are as different as can be in looks and temperament, but they must learn to respect each other just a little if they are to succeed.

The bewildered and terrified mortal girl Eanrin stumbles across seems to need rescuing too. Whether Eanrin is up to the task of keeping her safe, and from what, as well as coming to Gleamdren's rescue is not at all certain. Starflower has dark secrets of her own to hide. As the histories of mortals and dragons tangle and collide terrible truths are revealed.

I found Starflower to be a thoroughly satisfying fantasy, full of gorgeous otherness, shimmering creatures and monstrous wrongs to be righted. It definitely fulfilled my sometime yearning for tales of good and evil, fortitude and courage. The other Goldstone Wood novels are now firmly on my wish-list.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interview With The Vampire: Claudia's Story by Anne Rice and Ashley Marie Witter

Super Special Summer Picnic Book Chase

My nieces and nephews and I have a monthly book club, called Book Chase (although it sometimes gains an extra 's' to become Book Chasse). The rules are simple: we all bring something we've read during the last month, talk about it to each other, and eat snacks. We live tweet each meeting with the hashtag BookChase. Sometimes, when we remember, we Storify all the tweets too. This month, we remembered!

[View the story "SUPER SPECIAL SUMMER PICNIC BOOK CHASE" on Storify]

See What I Have Done by Sarah Schmidt

Lizzie Borden and the Borden Murders See What I Have Done by Sarah Schmidt

The story of Lizzie Borden has a whiff of folklore about it, it feels hazy to me, apocryphal perhaps, something half known and uncertain like Washington and the cherry tree or the ride of Paul Revere. Shamefully, I had to Google both the latter two examples to double check they were the events I thought I was referring to. I choose them deliberately though - is it my Englishness that makes these events fuzzy to me? Do these stories live in the American psyche the way Magna Carta, Henry VIII and his six wives, and Jack the Ripper (to select three almost at random) live in mine? 
I remember a book we stocked when I was a very young bookseller at Waterstones in Watford that looked at the psychology of children who murder their parents. The copy on the back of the book talked of Lizzie Borden. I remember half wondering about the case, then shelving the book away and moving onto the next armful. But it stuck in my m…