Skip to main content

Downstairs at Picador

Last night I was lucky enough to attend an event Downstairs at Picador. It was an evening showcasing and celebrating the publisher's hottest new authors. It was amazing! Six authors read from their books, all due to be published next year, and we had a jolly good chat with lots of book-loving folk. It really was such a lovely evening. As a result of all this fun I now already have six book I absolutely have to read in 2013...

How To Be A Good Wife by Emma Chapman

How to Be a Good Wife
I think this is going to be a creepy and disturbing story of a marriage, in which the wife is oblivious to some terrible secret. Marta and Hector have been married so long that Marta has trouble even remembering the time before they were a couple. It sounds great, and the extract Emma read last night gave a taste of Marta's unease.


It's not too long to wait for this one, it's published 3rd January 2013.








Ten Things I've Learnt About Love by Sarah Butler

Ten Things I've Learnt About LoveI could have listened to Sarah read from her book all evening. She started with a list of ten things the narrator would tell their father, and that was it, I was hooked. There are two main characters, with London itself being the third. The city was described so evocatively it provokes an emotional response, and that's even without the father daughter dynamic going on. This is going to be stunning, I just know it.

This can be in our hands on 31st January 2013.







The Heretics by Will Storr

The Heretics: Adventures with the Enemies of ScienceThe Heretics is non-fiction, but the stories he tells are crazier than most fiction. It looks at an array of strange tales that are dismissed by the majority of people, but adhered to as fact fact fact by small groups of, dare I say, obsessional folk. The extract Will read from his book was an interview he did with Holocaust-denier David Irving. Listening to Irving splitting etymological hairs is so absurd it actually becomes funny. Tragically, horrifyingly funny.

I think this book will stimulate lots of debate, and it's published 14th February 2013.







The View On The Way Down by Rebecca Wait

The View on the Way DownThis is going to be a heartbreaker for sure. It's a story about a family broken by tragedy. Emma is left at home with her parents after one of her brother's dies and the other one leaves home. There are secrets here too, I think. Rebecca read a piece from Emma's point of view, and I immediately felt for the girl as she carefully negotiated her mother's mood.

 I am looking forward to reading this so much. It is published 11th April 2013.







Meeting the English by Kate Clanchy

Meeting the EnglishI think this is going to be very darkly funny. Set in the heady summer of 1989, young Struan leaves Scotland to take a job in London. Well, Hampstead to be precise, to care for an ailing author. It's a world away from Struan's normal life - as he says no one comes back from London. Kate's reading made everyone laugh. Struan is a teenaged hero, afforded special status by bereavement and height. He's also seriously intelligent, and I get the feeling he could conquer the world if he had a mind to.

This one is also on my list of books that must be read. It's out 25th April 2013.







Kiss Me First by Lottie Moggach

This one isn't published until 4th July, so I don't have a jacket to show yet. The plot is pretty unusual, I think. Tess wants to kill herself, but also wants to hide the fact that she's dead. Her solution is to arrange for another person take over her online persona. It sounds like a terrible plan, but an excellent set-up for a novel. I'm looking forward to finding out how Leila, the other woman, copes with the deception, and when/how/if the whole illusion falls to pieces.

So, there they are, six books I am definitely going to read in 2013. I was already excited (very much) by the Tinder Press list, now I am even more convinced that 2013 is going to be an awesome year for bibliophiles. Hooray!


Comments

  1. Sounds like you had a great evening. I actually had an afternoon at a Dutch publisher yesterday! Five new books (to be published in the spring) were presented, and like you, I want to read them all! When authors talk about their own books you cannot help but fall for them (the books!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes the books come to life, especially when you hear the author read from their work. It's really good fun too!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Interview With The Vampire: Claudia's Story by Anne Rice and Ashley Marie Witter

See What I Have Done by Sarah Schmidt

Lizzie Borden and the Borden Murders See What I Have Done by Sarah Schmidt

The story of Lizzie Borden has a whiff of folklore about it, it feels hazy to me, apocryphal perhaps, something half known and uncertain like Washington and the cherry tree or the ride of Paul Revere. Shamefully, I had to Google both the latter two examples to double check they were the events I thought I was referring to. I choose them deliberately though - is it my Englishness that makes these events fuzzy to me? Do these stories live in the American psyche the way Magna Carta, Henry VIII and his six wives, and Jack the Ripper (to select three almost at random) live in mine? 
I remember a book we stocked when I was a very young bookseller at Waterstones in Watford that looked at the psychology of children who murder their parents. The copy on the back of the book talked of Lizzie Borden. I remember half wondering about the case, then shelving the book away and moving onto the next armful. But it stuck in my m…

Super Special Summer Picnic Book Chase

My nieces and nephews and I have a monthly book club, called Book Chase (although it sometimes gains an extra 's' to become Book Chasse). The rules are simple: we all bring something we've read during the last month, talk about it to each other, and eat snacks. We live tweet each meeting with the hashtag BookChase. Sometimes, when we remember, we Storify all the tweets too. This month, we remembered!

[View the story "SUPER SPECIAL SUMMER PICNIC BOOK CHASE" on Storify]