Skip to main content

Here I Am by Patti Kim and Sonia Sánchez



Here I am
Here I Am is a wordless picture book that charts one young boy’s arrival in a new country. The story is by Patti Kim, and is based on her experiences of moving from Korea to America when she was barely more than a toddler. The pictures are by Sonia Sánchez. This is the first time I’ve encountered either author.

At first the unfamiliar sights and sounds overwhelm the boy, and he struggles to feel happy in his new home.


A fortuitous accident gets him exploring the neighbourhood and he begins to see that there are good things awaiting him.




Here I Am is a very beautiful book. The illustrations convey all the boy’s emotions: his confusion, sadness, anger, curiosity, and joy. Some pages have an explosion of colour, others are muted – they all have a sketched quality that I liked very much.

There are no words, so we are able to create our own story from the pictures, which gives a lot of room for discussion and to me, promotes a very empathetic reading of the book. I’d really like to try and use this book for a story time reading; it would be satisfying, I think, to get the children to tell the story aloud from the illustrations (I am briefly cursing no longer being a children’s bookseller).

This is an interesting book in more than its subject matter. It has both a writer and an illustrator, but of course it is a wordless story. It has made me think again about an article I read yesterday about the disparity between writers and illustrators in terms of the credit given to each, by Sarah McIntyre. I expect I do know the writers of many more picture books than I do the illustrators, despite the pictures being the reason I love picture books. I wonder how different it is to illustrate something when there are no words in the text…

This is a heartfelt book; it shows the dislocation of immigrating effortlessly, and sits well with the necessary campaign for more diverse books. Good work from Curious Fox in publishing Here I Am in the UK.

The publisher was kind enough to send me copy of Here I Am for review. It is published, in paperback, on 12 February 2015.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interview With The Vampire: Claudia's Story by Anne Rice and Ashley Marie Witter

How to Stuff Up Christmas by Rosie Blake

'Tis the season to be jolly. Unless you've found an intimate picture of another woman on your fiance's phone... Eve is heartbroken after discovering her fiance is cheating on her. Being surrounded by the joys of Christmas is more than Eve can bear, so she chooses to avoid the festivities by spending Christmas alone on a houseboat in Pangbourne. Eve gets gets an unexpected seasonal surprise when handsome local vet Greg comes to her rescue one day, and continues to visit Eve's boat on a mission to transform her from Kitchen Disaster Zone to Culinary Queen.But where does Greg keep disappearing to? What does Eve's best friend Daisy know that she isn't telling? And why is there an angry goose stalking Eve's boat?
This book illustrates how special a thing it is to have people send you books out of the blue; it's a privilege and a pleasure. I wouldn't have known about this book, let alone read and loved it, if it hadn't landed in my letterbox. I'm …

Reading Resolutions

Happy New Year!
That's 2015 done and dusted, here's to 2016 and let's hope it's filled with love and laughter, friends and fun, books and cake. And really, that's about as far as my resolutions go but I do have a few projects in mind for the coming year and beyond.

This year there are two anniversaries I want to celebrate. The first is the two hundredth anniversary of Charlotte Bronte's birth on 21st April.
Jane Eyre is one of my most favourite stories of all and I've lost count of the number of times I've read it over the years. I'll be re-reading it yet again come April, but before then I plan to read the other three novels Charlotte wrote starting with Shirley this month. I'm quite keen to read the new Claire Harman biography of Charlotte Bronte too at some point.

The other anniversary is that of Shakespeare's death 400 years ago on 23rd April. I've finally admitted to myself that reading the same half dozen plays over and over isn'…