Skip to main content

Two Super and Spooky Picture Books

These two picture books have been keeping me entertained recently.


The first one is Ghost in the House by Ammi-Joan Paquette and illustrated by Adam Record.
Ghost in the House

Ghost in the House is so much fun. It starts with a Boo! and a ghost all alone in a creepy house. Or is he? There’s a noise and a clue to what else might be in the house. 

And so it continues until a motley assortment of things that go bump in the night have assembled. But there’s a final twist as the monsters encounter something that gives them a scare.

But it isn’t really scary – all the monsters have sweet smiling faces and seem very happy to see each other. I love the skeleton, and the monster, and the ghost…well, all of them actually. I can’t help but think that they would make very cute little toys.

The illustrations appeal to me lots. They’re quite simple, but with lots of expression. The backgrounds have some nice textures and I love all the greens and greys.


The words have a lovely rhythm for reading aloud; there’s repetition and words to have fun with, such as growl and groan. They also build up to the twist at the end.









Then there's No Such Thing by Ella Bailey.
 NoSuchThing_Featured
Oh, this book is just charming. Georgia is a practical young girl who can find a reasonable explanation for all the strange things happening in her house. She refuses to believe that anything spooky is happening, as quite simply there are no such thing as ghosts. Her little black cat isn’t quite so sure, and we get to see for ourselves who the real culprits are.

I love everything about this book. The story is great; Georgia blames everyone in the house for the mischief. This is another one that comes to life when read aloud. The colours are gorgeously chalky and the pictures have a retro feel to them – maybe a little ‘60s? Anyway, I adore them.


What’s really fun about No Such Thing is hunting out the ghosts on each page. My colleague and I have poured over the pages gleefully pointing out ghosts to each other. Children might like it too, I guess!


Both books are coming along to our family Halloween party later today, and I’m hoping I can persuade Niece Number 1 to read them to us all. If not, I’ll just have to do it myself!

Ghost in the House is from Walker Books and is available in paperback. No Such Thing is published by Flying Eye Books and is a hardback. I bought them both from Foyles.

Comments

  1. These both look fab, might buy No Such Thing for a present.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Interview With The Vampire: Claudia's Story by Anne Rice and Ashley Marie Witter

How to Stuff Up Christmas by Rosie Blake

'Tis the season to be jolly. Unless you've found an intimate picture of another woman on your fiance's phone... Eve is heartbroken after discovering her fiance is cheating on her. Being surrounded by the joys of Christmas is more than Eve can bear, so she chooses to avoid the festivities by spending Christmas alone on a houseboat in Pangbourne. Eve gets gets an unexpected seasonal surprise when handsome local vet Greg comes to her rescue one day, and continues to visit Eve's boat on a mission to transform her from Kitchen Disaster Zone to Culinary Queen.But where does Greg keep disappearing to? What does Eve's best friend Daisy know that she isn't telling? And why is there an angry goose stalking Eve's boat?
This book illustrates how special a thing it is to have people send you books out of the blue; it's a privilege and a pleasure. I wouldn't have known about this book, let alone read and loved it, if it hadn't landed in my letterbox. I'm …

Reading Resolutions

Happy New Year!
That's 2015 done and dusted, here's to 2016 and let's hope it's filled with love and laughter, friends and fun, books and cake. And really, that's about as far as my resolutions go but I do have a few projects in mind for the coming year and beyond.

This year there are two anniversaries I want to celebrate. The first is the two hundredth anniversary of Charlotte Bronte's birth on 21st April.
Jane Eyre is one of my most favourite stories of all and I've lost count of the number of times I've read it over the years. I'll be re-reading it yet again come April, but before then I plan to read the other three novels Charlotte wrote starting with Shirley this month. I'm quite keen to read the new Claire Harman biography of Charlotte Bronte too at some point.

The other anniversary is that of Shakespeare's death 400 years ago on 23rd April. I've finally admitted to myself that reading the same half dozen plays over and over isn'…