Skip to main content

A Wicked Pursuit by Isabella Bradford


A Wicked Pursuit - Breconridge Brothers 1


A Wicked Pursuit is the first novel in the new Breconbridge Brothers series. And what fun it is. If you are in the mood for a bit of romance Georgian-style with a dash of steamy romping, then really look no further. I’m not sure much else needs to be said to recommend it, not to me anyway, but I’ll continue…

Harry Fitzroy is the most eligible bachelor of the season and he’s looking for the future Lady Breconbridge. His attentions have alighted on the beautiful and captivating Lady Julia Barclay. Unfortunately his attempts at a proposal end in a horrible accident, leaving him bed-bound. Julia’s true character is revealed during Harry’s convalescence, leaving him to draw closer to her sister Gus. Gus is the quiet and understated to Julia’s vibrant and showy. It is Gus, of course, who is the hero of the sickroom. As Gus and Harry spend time together an unlikely romance develops, which could easily lead to Gus’s ruin.

I wasn’t sure I was going to like Harry. He seems fairly shallow initially, although it was impossible to knock his joie de vivre. He’s full-on with everything, there’s ‘no halfway with Harry’. He’s basically beguiled by Julia’s heaving bosom, forgetting to ask whether they’d actually get on with each other. His first impression of Gus is lamentable, mistaking her for ‘some plain-faced servant’. His accident is the making of him, giving him time to reassess his priorities. Gus is rather impressed with his courage and fortitude. She also knows that her sister will never accept Harry after what has happened. But, even Julia has the opportunity to become a nicer person by the end of the book, despite my grave misgivings.

I enjoyed all the medical details, especially the society doctor Sir Randolph’s pandering to his patient’s whims. Physicians had little choice but to demur to their patients for the sake of the patronage they received from their wealthy clients. Harry gets to call the shots over his treatment; and he thinks it’s Gus who will make him feel so very much better.

A Wicked Pursuit is a perfect Sunday afternoon treat. It’s light and enjoyable, and I felt I was in safe hands with the author. A little bit of escapism to brighten up the day!

I received a copy of the book from Headline through their Bookbridgr scheme.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interview With The Vampire: Claudia's Story by Anne Rice and Ashley Marie Witter

How to Stuff Up Christmas by Rosie Blake

'Tis the season to be jolly. Unless you've found an intimate picture of another woman on your fiance's phone... Eve is heartbroken after discovering her fiance is cheating on her. Being surrounded by the joys of Christmas is more than Eve can bear, so she chooses to avoid the festivities by spending Christmas alone on a houseboat in Pangbourne. Eve gets gets an unexpected seasonal surprise when handsome local vet Greg comes to her rescue one day, and continues to visit Eve's boat on a mission to transform her from Kitchen Disaster Zone to Culinary Queen.But where does Greg keep disappearing to? What does Eve's best friend Daisy know that she isn't telling? And why is there an angry goose stalking Eve's boat?
This book illustrates how special a thing it is to have people send you books out of the blue; it's a privilege and a pleasure. I wouldn't have known about this book, let alone read and loved it, if it hadn't landed in my letterbox. I'm …

Reading Resolutions

Happy New Year!
That's 2015 done and dusted, here's to 2016 and let's hope it's filled with love and laughter, friends and fun, books and cake. And really, that's about as far as my resolutions go but I do have a few projects in mind for the coming year and beyond.

This year there are two anniversaries I want to celebrate. The first is the two hundredth anniversary of Charlotte Bronte's birth on 21st April.
Jane Eyre is one of my most favourite stories of all and I've lost count of the number of times I've read it over the years. I'll be re-reading it yet again come April, but before then I plan to read the other three novels Charlotte wrote starting with Shirley this month. I'm quite keen to read the new Claire Harman biography of Charlotte Bronte too at some point.

The other anniversary is that of Shakespeare's death 400 years ago on 23rd April. I've finally admitted to myself that reading the same half dozen plays over and over isn'…