Skip to main content

Witch Hunt by Syd Moore



There was a moment when Witch Hunt very nearly got hidden in the freezer. It got to me more than I'd anticipated. But - I love ghost stories. I love witches. Do I love ghost stories about long-dead witches that give me the fears? Why yes, yes I do.

Proud Essex girl Sadie is a journalist who uncovers more than she bargained for when she starts researching the vile 17th century Witchfinder Matthew Hopkins. Sadie is determined to give a voice to his many victims, but disturbingly, it seems that something unearthly is trying to communicate with her. Can the past be haunting Sadie, or is it all in her head as she grieves for her mother? Whichever it is, the menace she feels is pretty bloomin’ scary and majorly creepy. I was actually freaked out at times as I got sucked into the story.

I loved how the presence Sadie feels changes; sometimes almost benign, other times deeply malevolent. She has vivid visceral hallucinations, which no amount of rationalising can explain. She is also haunted by her mother’s death, and carries around this huge ball of guilt. To her the scratching noises coming from the loft may well be rats, but they sound very much like her ‘conscience itching’. Real life is not being particularly kind to Sadie, but she does have a new book deal. I cannot tell you how much I enjoyed the portrayal of the publishing house’s corrupt media mogul with fingers in all of the pies. He seemed eerily familiar…

My absolute favourite thing about Witch Hunt is Sadie’s forthright opinions on what a scumbag Hopkins was. She tears the power-crazed sadist apart, exposing him for the monster he was. It feels so good to type that, letting any attempt at historian’s objectivity go! I abhor Hopkins and seeing him skewered made me so very happy. Even without the supernatural twist, I defy anyone to read about Hopkins’ exploits here without getting the shudders.

The story builds up to a huge clash of the real and supernatural forces Sadie is facing. I had an overwhelming sense of foreboding that she was making a terribly bad decision, but I did not see exactly how it was going to play out. I’d followed the clues as her life as she knew it unravelled; it was great to still get a surprise. I enjoyed the storytelling, the story, and I loved Sadie. I was hoping Witch Hunt would be my kind of book, and by heck, it was.

I was fortunate enough to receive a copy of the book from the publisher. Thank you to Avon and to the author.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interview With The Vampire: Claudia's Story by Anne Rice and Ashley Marie Witter

How to Stuff Up Christmas by Rosie Blake

'Tis the season to be jolly. Unless you've found an intimate picture of another woman on your fiance's phone... Eve is heartbroken after discovering her fiance is cheating on her. Being surrounded by the joys of Christmas is more than Eve can bear, so she chooses to avoid the festivities by spending Christmas alone on a houseboat in Pangbourne. Eve gets gets an unexpected seasonal surprise when handsome local vet Greg comes to her rescue one day, and continues to visit Eve's boat on a mission to transform her from Kitchen Disaster Zone to Culinary Queen.But where does Greg keep disappearing to? What does Eve's best friend Daisy know that she isn't telling? And why is there an angry goose stalking Eve's boat?
This book illustrates how special a thing it is to have people send you books out of the blue; it's a privilege and a pleasure. I wouldn't have known about this book, let alone read and loved it, if it hadn't landed in my letterbox. I'm …

Reading Resolutions

Happy New Year!
That's 2015 done and dusted, here's to 2016 and let's hope it's filled with love and laughter, friends and fun, books and cake. And really, that's about as far as my resolutions go but I do have a few projects in mind for the coming year and beyond.

This year there are two anniversaries I want to celebrate. The first is the two hundredth anniversary of Charlotte Bronte's birth on 21st April.
Jane Eyre is one of my most favourite stories of all and I've lost count of the number of times I've read it over the years. I'll be re-reading it yet again come April, but before then I plan to read the other three novels Charlotte wrote starting with Shirley this month. I'm quite keen to read the new Claire Harman biography of Charlotte Bronte too at some point.

The other anniversary is that of Shakespeare's death 400 years ago on 23rd April. I've finally admitted to myself that reading the same half dozen plays over and over isn'…