Skip to main content

The Branford Boase Award Shortlist


Hooray, today is Branford Boase Award Shortlist day. I have so nearly read the whole longlist, just one book has eluded me but, it is now in the library waiting for me. I’m off to pick it up later today, and then I can finish my posts on all 29 longlisted titles.

The shortlist has some of my personal favourites on it. The judges have chosen the following:

Winter Damage by Natasha Carthew, edited by Rebecca McNally
Geek Girl by Holly Smale, edited by Lizzie Clifford
Wild Boy by Rob Lloyd Jones, edited by Marga Bergman
Red Ink by Julie Mayhew, edited by Emily Thomas
Alex, the Dog, and the Unopenable Door by Ross Montgomery, edited by Rebecca Lee & Susilia Baybars
Infinite Sky by C.J. Flood, edited by Venetia Gosling
The Poison Boy by Fletcher Moss, edited by Imogen Cooper & Barry Cunningham

Once I’ve read my last book I’ll be able to choose my own shortlist. I think I concur with about the half the list, but I might make a few changes! There is absolutely no doubt that Wild Boy will be on it. My love for it hasn’t faded since I first read it last year and I am thrilled to see it on the shortlist.

There's more information on the Branford Boase Award website. It seems like an age until the prize ceremony on July 10th, but I'm sure the time will fly!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interview With The Vampire: Claudia's Story by Anne Rice and Ashley Marie Witter

Super Special Summer Picnic Book Chase

My nieces and nephews and I have a monthly book club, called Book Chase (although it sometimes gains an extra 's' to become Book Chasse). The rules are simple: we all bring something we've read during the last month, talk about it to each other, and eat snacks. We live tweet each meeting with the hashtag BookChase. Sometimes, when we remember, we Storify all the tweets too. This month, we remembered!

[View the story "SUPER SPECIAL SUMMER PICNIC BOOK CHASE" on Storify]

See What I Have Done by Sarah Schmidt

Lizzie Borden and the Borden Murders See What I Have Done by Sarah Schmidt

The story of Lizzie Borden has a whiff of folklore about it, it feels hazy to me, apocryphal perhaps, something half known and uncertain like Washington and the cherry tree or the ride of Paul Revere. Shamefully, I had to Google both the latter two examples to double check they were the events I thought I was referring to. I choose them deliberately though - is it my Englishness that makes these events fuzzy to me? Do these stories live in the American psyche the way Magna Carta, Henry VIII and his six wives, and Jack the Ripper (to select three almost at random) live in mine? 
I remember a book we stocked when I was a very young bookseller at Waterstones in Watford that looked at the psychology of children who murder their parents. The copy on the back of the book talked of Lizzie Borden. I remember half wondering about the case, then shelving the book away and moving onto the next armful. But it stuck in my m…