Skip to main content

Somewhere in France by Jennifer Robson


Somewhere in France: A Novel of the Great War

The centenary of the outbreak of the First World War is going to be unavoidable across all types of media this year, fiction publishing no exception. The experience and legacy of the Great War has given us some outstanding literature. Erich Maria Remarque’s All Quiet on the Western Front, Frederic Manning’s Her Privates We, Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn’s August 1914, and Pat Barker’s Regeneration all spring to mind as novels I want to re-read this year. I’m also going to read some of the books published in 2014. I’m interested in how the conflict will be portrayed a hundred years after it began. It seems to hold a particular place in the cultural memory of Britain, a mixture of pity and admiration, sadness and pride. The lost generation; a waste of young men; sent to their deaths; over the top; shell-shocked; the trenches; no man’s land – these words bring with them a host of emotions and images. The First World War is a very emotive subject.

The first novel set during the war I’ve read this year is Jennifer Robson’s Somewhere in France. At its heart it is a romance across class divides. Lilly, or Lady Elizabeth Neville-Ashford to give her full title, is the daughter of an earl. Her domineering mother who believes that Lilly’s place is, as her own, as a wife and mother constricts her life. Lilly dreams of education, travel, purpose. At the other end of the social scale Robbie is from the Glasgow slums, the son of a dustman. A scholarship has allowed him to transcend his humble beginnings and become a surgeon. Edward, Lilly’s good-natured brother, is the link between the pair.

With the outbreak of war Edward enlists into the army and Robbie goes too, as a field surgeon. Lilly is left at home rolling bandages and knitting very badly, until a confrontation with her parents pushes her to make a decisive break for independence. She gets the opportunity to drive an ambulance in France, assigned to the same field hospital as Robbie. The story follows their relationship for the duration of the war, as they try to make sense of their feelings for one another and the situation they are in.

I found Somewhere in France an enjoyable read. For much of the book Lilly and Robbie’s main form of communication is through letters, and I thought this worked very well. I liked the contrast between what they were able to express to each other via the written word and in person. The story centres on their relationship and consequently I did feel somewhat distant from the actual war. Robbie does give some fascinating insights into his work as a surgeon, but I would have liked even more of the visceral details. I didn’t get a good sense of how Lilly felt about her work; she empathises with Robbie’s distress but seems emotionally removed from the injured men she transports. Duty was the overriding motivation I got from Lilly. She is desperate to do what she considers her duty, and pushes herself to go beyond it, for example by reading to the soldiers on the ward in the evenings, but we don’t get her emotional response. It’s a conversation Lilly has with her brother about how he’s reacting to the death and destruction around him that highlighted this for me. I wonder if the sense of duty they have been brought up with has created a barrier?

Although I was involved in Robbie and Lilly’s relationship, I was less directly connected to the broader narrative. There is one particularly moving scene that looks beyond the love story though, when Robbie writes to the parents of a young man who has died in his care. That did make me well up with the personal tragedy each death caused. I also believed in Lilly’s dissatisfaction with her lot and her desire and determination to break out. Like her brother Edward, Lilly can make friends outside of her social class. Lilly wants to be judged on her merits not her family. Her old tutor Charlotte is an intriguing character. I wanted to know much more about her and the slightly strained relationship between her and Edward. This is left unresolved in the book, but I’ve read on the author’s website that a second book is planned that takes up Charlotte’s story. Which thought leads me to the ending of Somewhere in France. The last few paragraphs were a bit of a disappointment to me, unfortunately. It seems to end in a rush, and I was left a bit confused. Now I know a sequel is planned, things might get resolved/explained of course.

I spent a very pleasant Sunday afternoon reading Somewhere in France. It held my attention throughout and I liked the writing very much. I think the war acts as a backdrop to the romance, although the possibility of social change and mobility it wrought does directly affect the characters. It didn’t give me any new insight into the experience of war but it does illustrate the chains of social class, especially where they intersect with those of gender.

Somewhere in France is published in the UK tomorrow in paperback and eBook. My thanks to HaperCollins 360 for sending me an advance copy for review.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interview With The Vampire: Claudia's Story by Anne Rice and Ashley Marie Witter

How to Stuff Up Christmas by Rosie Blake

'Tis the season to be jolly. Unless you've found an intimate picture of another woman on your fiance's phone... Eve is heartbroken after discovering her fiance is cheating on her. Being surrounded by the joys of Christmas is more than Eve can bear, so she chooses to avoid the festivities by spending Christmas alone on a houseboat in Pangbourne. Eve gets gets an unexpected seasonal surprise when handsome local vet Greg comes to her rescue one day, and continues to visit Eve's boat on a mission to transform her from Kitchen Disaster Zone to Culinary Queen.But where does Greg keep disappearing to? What does Eve's best friend Daisy know that she isn't telling? And why is there an angry goose stalking Eve's boat?
This book illustrates how special a thing it is to have people send you books out of the blue; it's a privilege and a pleasure. I wouldn't have known about this book, let alone read and loved it, if it hadn't landed in my letterbox. I'm …

Reading Resolutions

Happy New Year!
That's 2015 done and dusted, here's to 2016 and let's hope it's filled with love and laughter, friends and fun, books and cake. And really, that's about as far as my resolutions go but I do have a few projects in mind for the coming year and beyond.

This year there are two anniversaries I want to celebrate. The first is the two hundredth anniversary of Charlotte Bronte's birth on 21st April.
Jane Eyre is one of my most favourite stories of all and I've lost count of the number of times I've read it over the years. I'll be re-reading it yet again come April, but before then I plan to read the other three novels Charlotte wrote starting with Shirley this month. I'm quite keen to read the new Claire Harman biography of Charlotte Bronte too at some point.

The other anniversary is that of Shakespeare's death 400 years ago on 23rd April. I've finally admitted to myself that reading the same half dozen plays over and over isn'…