Skip to main content

Catching Up and New Directions

Over the latter part of 2013 I spent less time writing reviews for my blog. I had some other things going on that demanded my time (how dare they), and then because the habit of blogging slipped it was harder to get back into it. I've been thinking about reading and writing as activities quite a lot recently; about what stories mean to me, how I interpret them and use them in my everyday life, and what writing about those thoughts adds to my experience. I've been thinking about those things in a wider sense as well as my personal reactions because story-telling is becoming increasingly important to my thesis research.

All this thinking has led me towards wanting to use my blog slightly differently. Rather than only putting up fully formed book reviews I'd like to use it as more of a reading journal. Sometimes when reviewing a book I find it difficult to do it justice because I'm desperately trying to avoid giving away any details that could be considered spoilers. I might now include more discussion about themes and details that seem vital to me or that made an impact on my reading experience  - BUT I will ALWAYS clearly indicate where I'm straying into spoiler territory.

I'm thinking about posting more succinct comments too, whilst I'm reading a book or as soon as I've finished it, to note down my immediate impressions. That way, even if I an unable to write a proper review I've still got a reference to each book I read.

I'll still write my reviews as before too, in fact I have a stack to catch up with, which I'll post in between the other blogs. I enjoy writing reviews, it's something I've been doing off and on ever since little school when we used to write book reports!
Camille Corot, Young Girl Reading, c.1868 (WikiFileSource)
What has become increasingly clear to me is that I cannot function without stories. Reading is a physical and emotional need for me, and a day without a book in it somewhere is not a good day. But, more than that is the desire to understand all the ways in which we tell stories to ourselves and each other; how they are formed, how they are transmitted and received, what we do with them, and how we use them to make sense of the world. I've got a lot more thinking to do.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interview With The Vampire: Claudia's Story by Anne Rice and Ashley Marie Witter

Super Special Summer Picnic Book Chase

My nieces and nephews and I have a monthly book club, called Book Chase (although it sometimes gains an extra 's' to become Book Chasse). The rules are simple: we all bring something we've read during the last month, talk about it to each other, and eat snacks. We live tweet each meeting with the hashtag BookChase. Sometimes, when we remember, we Storify all the tweets too. This month, we remembered!

[View the story "SUPER SPECIAL SUMMER PICNIC BOOK CHASE" on Storify]

See What I Have Done by Sarah Schmidt

Lizzie Borden and the Borden Murders See What I Have Done by Sarah Schmidt

The story of Lizzie Borden has a whiff of folklore about it, it feels hazy to me, apocryphal perhaps, something half known and uncertain like Washington and the cherry tree or the ride of Paul Revere. Shamefully, I had to Google both the latter two examples to double check they were the events I thought I was referring to. I choose them deliberately though - is it my Englishness that makes these events fuzzy to me? Do these stories live in the American psyche the way Magna Carta, Henry VIII and his six wives, and Jack the Ripper (to select three almost at random) live in mine? 
I remember a book we stocked when I was a very young bookseller at Waterstones in Watford that looked at the psychology of children who murder their parents. The copy on the back of the book talked of Lizzie Borden. I remember half wondering about the case, then shelving the book away and moving onto the next armful. But it stuck in my m…