Skip to main content

Carnegie Award 2013 Shortlist: A Greyhound of a Girl

Greyhound of a Girl
I'm sad to say I didn't much enjoy A Greyhound of a Girl. I liked the idea but was not so keen on the book as a whole. The story is about four generations of the same family and how they connect and find peace with their circumstances. On the back of the edition I read it tells us that one of the four is dead, and that for me was the first problem. What could have been a topic of uncertainty and suspense in the early stages of the novel is given away before you even start.

There were some things I thought were good, for example I enjoyed Tansey's story about her life. It was interesting to glimpse her time on the farm, and I wish there had been more of that. I also enjoyed the way the story changed perspective between the four characters. The opening chapter, consisting of just a few lines, is very effective I think; powerful in its brevity. But, I did not get on with several aspects of the book. I didn't especially like Mary, the youngest of the group. I don't think it is necessary to always like a character but I think the problem here is that she doesn't seem real. Some of the things she says and thinks didn't ring true for me, particularly parts about growing up. I also got incredibly frustrated by the repeated references to her mum, Scarlett, talking in exclamation marks all the time. As a final example of my not-so-great aspects of the book, I didn't think the ghost road trip worked very well either.

I hate to be so negative and I probably wouldn't normally have reviewed this if it hadn't been on the Carnegie list. I can't honestly say I would recommend A Greyhound of a Girl, which is a shame because I still think the central theme of the book is a good one.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interview With The Vampire: Claudia's Story by Anne Rice and Ashley Marie Witter

Super Special Summer Picnic Book Chase

My nieces and nephews and I have a monthly book club, called Book Chase (although it sometimes gains an extra 's' to become Book Chasse). The rules are simple: we all bring something we've read during the last month, talk about it to each other, and eat snacks. We live tweet each meeting with the hashtag BookChase. Sometimes, when we remember, we Storify all the tweets too. This month, we remembered!

[View the story "SUPER SPECIAL SUMMER PICNIC BOOK CHASE" on Storify]

How to Stuff Up Christmas by Rosie Blake

'Tis the season to be jolly. Unless you've found an intimate picture of another woman on your fiance's phone...  Eve is heartbroken after discovering her fiance is cheating on her. Being surrounded by the joys of Christmas is more than Eve can bear, so she chooses to avoid the festivities by spending Christmas alone on a houseboat in Pangbourne. Eve gets gets an unexpected seasonal surprise when handsome local vet Greg comes to her rescue one day, and continues to visit Eve's boat on a mission to transform her from Kitchen Disaster Zone to Culinary Queen. But where does Greg keep disappearing to? What does Eve's best friend Daisy know that she isn't telling? And why is there an angry goose stalking Eve's boat?
This book illustrates how special a thing it is to have people send you books out of the blue; it's a privilege and a pleasure. I wouldn't have known about this book, let alone read and loved it, if it hadn't landed in my letterbox. I'm …