Skip to main content

The Carnegie Medal Shortlist 2013

The Carnegie Medal Shortlist has been announced today, and I have made the bold decision to read them all. Well, actually I have a little headstart as I read two of the eight last year. I have one other one on my TBR pile ready for me to pick up and get on with. The rest I am going to try and borrow from the library. This year I want to make a real effort to use the local library more. They have a good ordering system in place, and not bad stock on the shelves. I would also hate to see any cuts to its budget, so I ought to be part of the 'use it' gang. I'll never stop adorning my house with books, but it makes sense financially and logistically to borrow more and buy fewer. Having said that, if I love anything I borrow so much I can't bear to part with it I will obviously buy a copy anyway. But, on to the shortlist...

Sarah Crossan THE WEIGHT OF WATERRoddy Doyle A GREYHOUND OF A GIRLNick Lake IN DARKNESS

Dave Shelton A BOY AND A BEAR IN A BOATElizabeth Wein CODE NAME VERITY
These five are the ones I have not read yet - I'm particularly looking forward to reading the bottom two. I've heard amazing things about Code Name Verity in particular.

Sally Gardner MAGGOT MOONI
I have a copy of Maggot Moon to hand, so I think this will the first one I read. 

And, these are the two I have previously read.
Marcus Sedgwick MIDWINTERBLOODR. J. Palacio WONDER
Midwinterblood is a sublime piece of storytelling, and Wonder is a truly beautiful and uplifting story.

If the rest of the shortlist lives up to the standard of Midwinterblood and Wonder I will have a splendid reading experience. The prize is awarded on June 19th, so there's plenty of time to read and review all the rest. From the middle of April I intend to post a review of one of the titles per week, which takes us up to the beginning of June. That leaves time for a little mulling over and guesswork about the potential winner! 

More information about the Carnegie Medal can be found on their website. I'd love to know what you think about the list - anything that particularly takes your fancy, any notable omissions? 

Comments

  1. I've read 7. Haven't read Midwinterblood but hear very good things about it. Overall, I don't think Greyhound is good enough. The other 6 are all wonderful in lots of different ways: I loved them all.

    We're officially Shadowing the shortlist, so if you'd like me to include your reviews on that, give me a shout.

    Also, @acaseforbooks is hosting a Twitter shadowing group with the hashtag #tweetckg.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll race through Midwinterblood. It's very different from the others on the list I think.

      I've been reading the longlist reviews on your website, the official shadowing is a great idea. I have a vague memory of my little little sister doing it a few years back when Malorie Blackman's Noughts and Crosses was first published. It'd be lovely to have my reviews included, thank you :)

      I'm off to find @acaseforbooks and the hashtag now!

      Delete
  2. I loved Maggot Moon and In Darkness is a great portrayal of what it's like to be in a gang, I think.

    Midwinterblood (with a very different cover) and Wonder have been sitting on my shelves for some time although I've no idea when I'll get to them! I'll be interested to read your reviews.

    I'm surprised at the absence of Ketchup Clouds. I haven't read it yet but the people I know who have are raving about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to confess to having both Annabel Pitcher novels sitting in the teetering pile of books just behind me - I want to read them but I think I might get a bit over emotional.

      I have managed to download a copy of In Darkness and I'm very keen to read it, it looks quite dark and tough.

      I wholeheartedly recommend Midwinterblood and Wonder, they are very different but both brilliant.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Interview With The Vampire: Claudia's Story by Anne Rice and Ashley Marie Witter

Super Special Summer Picnic Book Chase

My nieces and nephews and I have a monthly book club, called Book Chase (although it sometimes gains an extra 's' to become Book Chasse). The rules are simple: we all bring something we've read during the last month, talk about it to each other, and eat snacks. We live tweet each meeting with the hashtag BookChase. Sometimes, when we remember, we Storify all the tweets too. This month, we remembered!

[View the story "SUPER SPECIAL SUMMER PICNIC BOOK CHASE" on Storify]

How to Stuff Up Christmas by Rosie Blake

'Tis the season to be jolly. Unless you've found an intimate picture of another woman on your fiance's phone...  Eve is heartbroken after discovering her fiance is cheating on her. Being surrounded by the joys of Christmas is more than Eve can bear, so she chooses to avoid the festivities by spending Christmas alone on a houseboat in Pangbourne. Eve gets gets an unexpected seasonal surprise when handsome local vet Greg comes to her rescue one day, and continues to visit Eve's boat on a mission to transform her from Kitchen Disaster Zone to Culinary Queen. But where does Greg keep disappearing to? What does Eve's best friend Daisy know that she isn't telling? And why is there an angry goose stalking Eve's boat?
This book illustrates how special a thing it is to have people send you books out of the blue; it's a privilege and a pleasure. I wouldn't have known about this book, let alone read and loved it, if it hadn't landed in my letterbox. I'm …