Skip to main content

A Conspiracy of Alchemists by Liesel Schwarz

Today I'm saying hooray for steampunk! More specifically I'm feeling all loved-up about A Conspiracy of Alchemists.

A Conspiracy of Alchemists: Chronicles of Light and Shadow

Paris, 1903. Eleanor Chase, pilot, walks into a sinister cafe to meet with Patrice, her docking agent. He has an unusual job for her, some unexpected cargo that needs delivering to England. It's all a bit suspicious, but the job pays well and Elle likes to fly. Unfortunately, events very quickly take an unpleasant turn and Elle finds herself in a whole heap of danger.

Elle may not have set out looking for trouble, but once it found her there was no way she was going to back away from it. She's a brilliant character, determined, resourceful, clever and (dare I say) feisty. I adored her. In an age of female fragility she's kicking some serious butt. Her decision to fly illustrates her willingness to flout convention. For her, flying equals freedom, and is essential.

Added to the strong female lead, which I'm pre-disposed to enjoy, is the otherworldly aspect of the novel. Right from the prologue we know we are some place different; a world of fairies and Nightwalkers, Alchemists and Warlocks. The Shadow side exists alongside the rest of the world. Light and shadow are finely balanced - a balance that is becoming more precarious as scientific thought becomes increasingly prevalent. As enlightenment and rational thinking advance ever forward the magic in the world dissipates bit by bit. Elle becomes involved in the battle for magical power, and finds that her part in it may not be a simple case of wrong place wrong time - perhaps it's her destiny.

Oh blimey, there's so much I loved about this story. It's got adventure, magic, a little romantic frisson, and mysteries. Lots of mysteries that take their time to play out. There's cool steampunk technology, brilliantly named characters like Mr Chunk or Mrs Hinges. There's also an absinthe fairy, hitching a lift with Elle and narrating it's own story. I loved not knowing who Elle should trust from one minute to the next. I hoped Mr Chance was a good guy, he's certainly rather dashing, but I felt there was a constantly shifting set of alliances. I had to take my best guess along with Elle. A Conspiracy of Alchemists is the first book in The Chronicles of Light and Shadow, but it is safe to read as a standalone novel. It has a proper ending for this story, although the way is certainly clear for more to come.

I would like to make one criticism. I love the US cover much more than the UK one. The one we have over here puts me in mind of war, which just isn't right. The one below 'feels' like the story to me. I know it's a very subjective business, but as I'd seen the US cover first I was a bit disappointed. Please let me know if you agree or disagree. The cover controversy notwithstanding, thank you so much to Del Rey for letting me read the eARC via Netgalley. I'm looking forward to the second part of The Chronicles of Light and Shadow enormously.

Lovely US cover


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interview With The Vampire: Claudia's Story by Anne Rice and Ashley Marie Witter

Super Special Summer Picnic Book Chase

My nieces and nephews and I have a monthly book club, called Book Chase (although it sometimes gains an extra 's' to become Book Chasse). The rules are simple: we all bring something we've read during the last month, talk about it to each other, and eat snacks. We live tweet each meeting with the hashtag BookChase. Sometimes, when we remember, we Storify all the tweets too. This month, we remembered!

[View the story "SUPER SPECIAL SUMMER PICNIC BOOK CHASE" on Storify]

How to Stuff Up Christmas by Rosie Blake

'Tis the season to be jolly. Unless you've found an intimate picture of another woman on your fiance's phone...  Eve is heartbroken after discovering her fiance is cheating on her. Being surrounded by the joys of Christmas is more than Eve can bear, so she chooses to avoid the festivities by spending Christmas alone on a houseboat in Pangbourne. Eve gets gets an unexpected seasonal surprise when handsome local vet Greg comes to her rescue one day, and continues to visit Eve's boat on a mission to transform her from Kitchen Disaster Zone to Culinary Queen. But where does Greg keep disappearing to? What does Eve's best friend Daisy know that she isn't telling? And why is there an angry goose stalking Eve's boat?
This book illustrates how special a thing it is to have people send you books out of the blue; it's a privilege and a pleasure. I wouldn't have known about this book, let alone read and loved it, if it hadn't landed in my letterbox. I'm …