Skip to main content

Interview With The Vampire: Claudia's Story by Anne Rice and Ashley Marie Witter


Interview with the Vampire: Claudia's Story
Confession time: I love Anne Rice’s Vampire Chronicles. Have done ever since I read Interview With the Vampire back in the early ‘90s. Since then I have read and re-read the entire series. The prospect of a new addition, in graphic novel form no less, had me excited. Claudia’s Story tells a familiar tale from a new perspective. If you’ve read Interview With the Vampire you will already know what is going to happen, but the illustrations and different viewpoint make it special.

It starts from Claudia’s mortal death, as Lestat turns her into a vampire, a pretty pet to keep Louis at his side. She begins a new life with her fathers. Lestat takes charge of her vampire nature, teaching her how to hunt and kill. Louis loves and cherishes her. She learns of beauty from Lestat, for ‘eternal life is useless to us if we do not see the beauty around us’. Art, music, theatre – all the finer things in life are hers for the taking. But, as the years flow by she feels increasingly empty. The realisation that she is forever trapped in a child’s body overwhelms her, and she looks for ways to erase the void inside of her. Her doll-like beauty is a curse. The gaps in Lestat’s knowledge of their kind are exposed, gaps Claudia is desperate to fill.




This book is a beautiful thing to me. I loved reading the story through Claudia’s eyes; scenes I’ve known for years were brought to life in a new way. People who know the film rather than the book won’t be disappointed either; the graphics give a cinematic quality that sit well alongside the movie. The colours are gorgeous, all sepia tinged with the occasional shock of red. Without being gloomy it conjures up the twilight world in which the vampires live. And the darkness used to show Claudia’s re-birth at the beginning is echoed later to moving effect. I hope there are more planned, there are so many characters with interesting stories in the series that I would love to see brought to life like this.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Stuff Up Christmas by Rosie Blake

'Tis the season to be jolly. Unless you've found an intimate picture of another woman on your fiance's phone... Eve is heartbroken after discovering her fiance is cheating on her. Being surrounded by the joys of Christmas is more than Eve can bear, so she chooses to avoid the festivities by spending Christmas alone on a houseboat in Pangbourne. Eve gets gets an unexpected seasonal surprise when handsome local vet Greg comes to her rescue one day, and continues to visit Eve's boat on a mission to transform her from Kitchen Disaster Zone to Culinary Queen.But where does Greg keep disappearing to? What does Eve's best friend Daisy know that she isn't telling? And why is there an angry goose stalking Eve's boat?
This book illustrates how special a thing it is to have people send you books out of the blue; it's a privilege and a pleasure. I wouldn't have known about this book, let alone read and loved it, if it hadn't landed in my letterbox. I'm …

Reading Resolutions

Happy New Year!
That's 2015 done and dusted, here's to 2016 and let's hope it's filled with love and laughter, friends and fun, books and cake. And really, that's about as far as my resolutions go but I do have a few projects in mind for the coming year and beyond.

This year there are two anniversaries I want to celebrate. The first is the two hundredth anniversary of Charlotte Bronte's birth on 21st April.
Jane Eyre is one of my most favourite stories of all and I've lost count of the number of times I've read it over the years. I'll be re-reading it yet again come April, but before then I plan to read the other three novels Charlotte wrote starting with Shirley this month. I'm quite keen to read the new Claire Harman biography of Charlotte Bronte too at some point.

The other anniversary is that of Shakespeare's death 400 years ago on 23rd April. I've finally admitted to myself that reading the same half dozen plays over and over isn'…