Skip to main content

Book Love

So, yesterday I broke my strict book buying rules and came home from work with two books. I just had to have them, simple as that. They are beauties.

First up I'd set my heart on reading the new book by Philip Hensher, The Missing Ink. It's getting a fair amount of attention at the moment, all positive that I've seen. It's a personal look at handwriting, and its role in the modern keyboard/touch screen society. I am still much more comfortable with pen and paper than with typing. I take all my notes longhand, and have folders and notebooks full of handwritten stuff. But, I also tweet, blog, text, and of course all my essays end up ultimately as clean Word documents. I read a little from the book last night, and enjoyed Hensher's direct style; he makes no bones about his contempt for idiotic school policies regarding handwriting as a skill to be learnt. I'm not so pessimistic about it. I have a small gang of nieces and nephews who are all school age, and for all of them learning to write has been an important part of their learning. I'm looking forward to reading more of the book, and will report back in due course!


My second purchase yesterday was a complete spur of the moment whim, but it is a thing of great beauty. I know it is too early to think about Christmas really, but look...


The endpapers are stunning.
















And, there are lots of lovely illustrations all the way through. It's a little Christmas miracle!
 


I also received a very nice treat in the post, from Random House. It's called The Tale of Raw Head & Bloody Bones, by Jack Wolf, and is due for publication in January. The blurb has me totally hooked: it's 1750 and Tristan Hart is studying medicine under the brilliant Dr William Hunter. The pair are light and dark; Hunter wants to prevent pain, Hart is obsessed with causing it. They are the two sides of the eighteenth century, the rational Enlightenment spirit and the world of the supernatural. I am so looking forward to getting stuck into this. 


Finally, I have to mention a book I've just finished, and which is quite remarkable. It is teen fiction, by debut author C.J. Flood. Infinite Sky is published in February next year. I'll do a proper review nearer the time, but for now I just wanted to flag it up as one to watch out for. It is the best type of real-life fiction for young adults, full of messy old emotions and small conflicts that sometimes lead to unexpected and devastating consequences. It felt so genuine as I was reading it, and Iris is one of the most believable characters I can remember ever encountering; I almost recognise her.

The cover art is stunning too. My photo doesn't do the colour justice unfortunately, but hopefully you get the idea. I can't wait to see the finished copies.

Comments

  1. I threw something up about The Missing Ink the other day too. I recently came across another book which is about letter writing specifically called 'Kind Regards: The Lost Art of Letter Writing' - thought you might be interested!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oo, I am interested definitely, in the book and your post. I'm off to investigate now. Thank you!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Interview With The Vampire: Claudia's Story by Anne Rice and Ashley Marie Witter

How to Stuff Up Christmas by Rosie Blake

'Tis the season to be jolly. Unless you've found an intimate picture of another woman on your fiance's phone... Eve is heartbroken after discovering her fiance is cheating on her. Being surrounded by the joys of Christmas is more than Eve can bear, so she chooses to avoid the festivities by spending Christmas alone on a houseboat in Pangbourne. Eve gets gets an unexpected seasonal surprise when handsome local vet Greg comes to her rescue one day, and continues to visit Eve's boat on a mission to transform her from Kitchen Disaster Zone to Culinary Queen.But where does Greg keep disappearing to? What does Eve's best friend Daisy know that she isn't telling? And why is there an angry goose stalking Eve's boat?
This book illustrates how special a thing it is to have people send you books out of the blue; it's a privilege and a pleasure. I wouldn't have known about this book, let alone read and loved it, if it hadn't landed in my letterbox. I'm …

Reading Resolutions

Happy New Year!
That's 2015 done and dusted, here's to 2016 and let's hope it's filled with love and laughter, friends and fun, books and cake. And really, that's about as far as my resolutions go but I do have a few projects in mind for the coming year and beyond.

This year there are two anniversaries I want to celebrate. The first is the two hundredth anniversary of Charlotte Bronte's birth on 21st April.
Jane Eyre is one of my most favourite stories of all and I've lost count of the number of times I've read it over the years. I'll be re-reading it yet again come April, but before then I plan to read the other three novels Charlotte wrote starting with Shirley this month. I'm quite keen to read the new Claire Harman biography of Charlotte Bronte too at some point.

The other anniversary is that of Shakespeare's death 400 years ago on 23rd April. I've finally admitted to myself that reading the same half dozen plays over and over isn'…