Skip to main content

Richard III at The Globe


I digress from books so soon, I know, but I am still buzzing from seeing Richard III at The Globe on Tuesday.  It was such a fantastic performance.  I feel compelled to urge everyone to get a ticket if they possibly can.

The superb Mark Rylance heads the all-male cast.  He takes the title role and gives his all as the machinating Richard.  As he limped and shambled and stammered onto the stage for the first scene the audience clapped and cheered, expecting great things.  I don’t think we were disappointed.  His Richard was full of malice, knowing asides and warped humour.  We laughed along with him as he made light of killing a king and a prince; giggled as he plotted to do away with his flighty brother Clarence.  I, for one, was complicit with his manoeuvres towards the crown.

The rest of the cast were also splendid, this is not a one-man show.  The men playing the women characters must have been sweltering under their make-up and wigs, but they were excellent.  In fact, so convincing were they that during the interval the woman sitting next to me asked if I thought all the female parts were really being played by men!  The two young boys playing the Princes (of the Tower fame) were delightful, ribbing and digging at their dangerous uncle.

The first scene lays bare Richard’s naked ambition.  With King Edward gravely ill and only two young sons between him and the throne there is work to be done to ensure it is Richard that benefits most from his brother’s death.  He dissembles to his other brother Clarence, all loving fraternal affection until his back is turned.  Richard has a wealth of one-liners, which Rylance makes the most of, but the laughter came to an abrupt stop with the second scene.  There is a complete change of atmosphere as Anne, who Richard will have for his wife, enters in mourning.  Richard attempts to woo her, heedless of the coffin that he helped fill.  The contrast between the two scenes was electric.  I was so looking forward to seeing this production, and from the very beginning it was wonderful.

I ought to confess that I am a bit of a Richard apologist.  In the context of late medieval kingship he was pragmatic and realistic, he was not the accursed hunchback of popular myth.  Much of this myth comes from Thomas More’s history of Richard, and this was a major source for Shakespeare’s play.  Tudor propaganda it most definitely is, bundled up in a highly watchable and entertaining morality play.  But despite Shakespeare’s Richard being a monster I could still see through the cracks.  Rylance gives humanity to the self-serving excuses Richard uses to justify his actions.  Richard is still terrifying when his rage explodes, but also funny and charming.  And, at his end, he is tragic and haunted.  My eyes were full of tears and despite the nearly 30-degree heat I had goosebumps.  I clapped along with the players as they ended with a jaunty dance, which gave me enough time to compose myself ready to shoot up out of my seat once the music stopped.  It was the most heartfelt standing ovation ever; I needed to show how I felt.  I was not alone.  Three curtain calls later, I was still tingling.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interview With The Vampire: Claudia's Story by Anne Rice and Ashley Marie Witter

See What I Have Done by Sarah Schmidt

Lizzie Borden and the Borden Murders See What I Have Done by Sarah Schmidt

The story of Lizzie Borden has a whiff of folklore about it, it feels hazy to me, apocryphal perhaps, something half known and uncertain like Washington and the cherry tree or the ride of Paul Revere. Shamefully, I had to Google both the latter two examples to double check they were the events I thought I was referring to. I choose them deliberately though - is it my Englishness that makes these events fuzzy to me? Do these stories live in the American psyche the way Magna Carta, Henry VIII and his six wives, and Jack the Ripper (to select three almost at random) live in mine? 
I remember a book we stocked when I was a very young bookseller at Waterstones in Watford that looked at the psychology of children who murder their parents. The copy on the back of the book talked of Lizzie Borden. I remember half wondering about the case, then shelving the book away and moving onto the next armful. But it stuck in my m…

Super Special Summer Picnic Book Chase

My nieces and nephews and I have a monthly book club, called Book Chase (although it sometimes gains an extra 's' to become Book Chasse). The rules are simple: we all bring something we've read during the last month, talk about it to each other, and eat snacks. We live tweet each meeting with the hashtag BookChase. Sometimes, when we remember, we Storify all the tweets too. This month, we remembered!

[View the story "SUPER SPECIAL SUMMER PICNIC BOOK CHASE" on Storify]